1. You want to look amazing in those gorgeously expensive, vertiginous heels that you bought especially for the silly season and lets face it, the Bambi look is not sexy; wobbling all over the place because you chose the 4 inch heel and you are a little unsteady on your feet.
The key to walking in heels is to forget about your feet and your legs and instead concentrate on your core. Lucky for you, every single pose in yoga helps to strengthen your core. Get on the mat and incorporate a few plank, boat and tree poses. And you will walk into that Christmas party and knock everyone out not just with your killer heels but also your killer body and confidence.
2. STRESS is the buzz word for December. So think back to that feeling of being in Savasana. Calm, relaxed, clear headed. Now, the stress is inevitable during the holidays, but taking yourself into a yoga class a couple of times a week and breathing and doing something for you will help to keep you a little calmer in those more testing times. Particularly when you realise on Christmas eve that the only way to fit the turkey in the oven is to go into the garage and saw it in half or when all the needles have fallen off the tree and it is only December 18th, and it's going to be a Charlie Brown Christmas AGAIN!
3. More calories are ingested in the month of December than all the rest of the year put together. That isn't an official statistic, in fact, maybe that's just me! Anyway, yoga is great at helping to regulate your metabolism, particularly practising surya namaskar, (my fave the good old sun salutation). It helps to get the heart pumping and the blood flowing, in turn increasing the metabolic rate. So not only is yoga going to help burn off any extra calories, it is actually going to help your body work more efficiently. With yoga in your life, your amazing body will tell you when to stop stuffing the sausage rolls because it is comfortably full thank you very much. Plus, you won't have to go on the dreaded crash diet in the New Year- January is depressing enough right?!
4. You have got the mother of all hangovers. You started with Bucks Fizz, went onto red wine with dinner and finally Port and Sloe gin. Now it is the next morning and all you want to do is curl up on the sofa with a pint of tea watching The Wizard of Oz for the 500th time. Instead, what you need to do is peel yourself off the couch, drag on your sweats and get yourself down to a flow class. I know, I know, it sounds like a terrible idea, but the gentle heating up of your body and the elevating of your heart rate is going to get the fresh oxygenated blood rushing round your body. You are going to sweat out the toxins and focus your mind and you will come out feeling amazing. The hangover will be no more and you will be energized, revitalised and more importantly, ready for the next party!
5. There are lots of beautiful, cool, sexy people that do yoga these days. Get down to the yoga studio and bag yourself a sexy date to take to your next party!
Christmas is about giving but in the giving process don't forget yourself! Give yourself the gift of health and happiness by getting you butt onto a mat and doing a few asana. Then shine your halo whilst downing a few cheeky mulled wines and turkey sandwiches.
Happy Christmas shopping freedom lovers! x